Handwritten letters will never go out of style.
We started writing letters to pen pals a few months ago. One of our Instagram, homeschool friends asked if my kiddos and I wanted to be pen pals with them. We started with one pen pal and now we have more than we can count. Our kiddos absolutely love pen pals. Our favorite time of the day is when we go to the post office. Kiddos get so excited when they get a letter (so do I). We often times sit in the parking lot of a grocery store and read our letters. I know we should be shopping but letters rarely get opened at home. We can’t resist opening our letters and see what sweet surprise awaits us. I have come across many who do not want to be the first ones to write the letter. Often times people don’t know how to write the first letter. It is so easy to write the first letter. We actually have a copy of our first letters and we usually send the same letter to each new pen pal if we are the first ones writing. We just rewrite it and decorate it.
Here is what you can include in your first letter:
- Let them know that your excited that you are pen pals with themppen.
- Tell your pen pal how old you are and who is in your family.
- Describe to your pen pal where you live and let them know your current temperature or weather.
- Tell your pen pal what you like to do during your spare time as well as what you would like to learn to do.
- Ask your pen pal one or two questions. An example : What do you look for in a friendship? Or What is your favorite color, food, day of the week, subject, memory, and so on.
- End with…I can’t wait to hear back from you and get to know you better.
Besides the letter it is always nice to add a few stickers, beautiful small paper, pressed flowers, post card, a tea bag, or anything flat that you would like to give to your pen pal.
If you are interested in finding a pen pal for your child or yourself then please visit my contact page. On the left side you will find questions I would like you to answer so I can better connect your child with the right pen pal. On the right side please answer the questions in the message box and hit send mail. On September 1, 2016 I will be emailing those who sign up their knew pen pals information.